MAKETU BEACH // Maketu
CAUTION: This area is suitable for EXPERIENCED kiteboarders, due to the potential risks when riding on-shore conditions. Everything downwind is hazardous; rocks, trees, power lines, and buildings. When riding cross-off shore (SW) conditions there is a bouldery beach and cliff faces downwind.
- Suitable wind range SW (cross off-shore from the left) through to NE. (W is cross-shore from the left)
- SW (cross off winds) are patchy because of the sand dunes up wind, but if there are good waves it’s always worth it.
- W is generally more consistent (cross shore winds).
- NW to NE winds come form the ocean so are quite consistent.
- Maketu Beach can be a great spot for riding in waves, from small onshore slop to large down the line walls, depending on the swell size, wind direction and tide heights.
- It can be smooth on a SW, and choppy-rough in W through to NE, depending on tides.
- The sea bed is a sandy bottom. In the entrance, and in front of the Maketu surfclub and cafe there is a bouldery sea bed that is always changing.
- Works best on Mid to High tides.
- Low tides can be very shallow on the inside bar, but waves out the back are still ridable.
- When the tide is going in or out, strong currents are flowing so make sure you know what the tide is doing before going out.
- In strong side to side-onshore wind and swell conditions there can be a strong current running along the beach.
LAUNCHING / LANDING
- At this spot there is small grassy area (next to the Surf Club) for pumping up.
- CAUTION: It can be a very tricky and confined place to launch and land. There are power lines and trees above the parking spots, and a rock wall on the beach which has very little room. Set up your lines, launch and land down on the beach.
- WARNING: We recommend this spot only for experienced kiters. When riding on-shore conditions everything downwind is hazardous; rocks, trees, power lines, and buildings. When riding cross-off shore (SW) conditions there is a bouldery beach and cliff faces downwind.
- If possible always get someone else to help you with launching and landing.
GENERAL INFO / SAFETY TIPS
- Maketu Beach is a great location for wave riding, or riding the current in light winds from the N quarter.
- The main break is on the bar (in front of the surf club), but there are many good banks up the beach towards Papamoa. Depending on the conditions this can be a better option than the bar. It’s also a lot safer, with a sand bottom and a lot more downwind space.
- Maketu Beach is a great spectator location with an elevated car park looking out over the water.
- There is parking under the trees or between the surf club and cafe.
- There are toilets and changing rooms at the surf club.
- If you want flat water, head to the Maketu Estuary reserve/skatepark spot.
- Make sure you grab a legendary Maketu pie while you are there!