MAKETU ESTUARY // Maketu
- Suitable wind range SW through to NE.
- SW is good, it can get gusty sometimes, W is generally more consistent.
- NW can be good.
- N to ENE winds are quite consistent.
- Water conditions range from smooth to choppy. It depends on the tidal/wind direction, and tide heights, i.e. sandbars show at low tide, generally making smoother water conditions.
- The estuary bed at Maketu is firm and sandy, with areas of cockle shells. We suggest booties if you are learning or going to spend a lot of time walking.
- Works on Mid to High tides (2 hours either side of high tide works best).
- Low tides are very shallow with only a small channel to ride in.
- Ideal conditions are when tidal flow opposes wind flow, i.e. incoming tide in SW to NW.
- N and NE aren’t affected by the tide flow too much.
LAUNCHING / LANDING
- At this spot there is large grassy reserve (Maketu Reserve & Skatepark) for setting up, launching and landing.
CAUTION: There are power lines above the parking spots, so set up your lines further out at the edge by the water. If possible always get someone else to help you with launching and landing.
GENERAL INFO / SAFETY TIPS
- Maketu Estury is a great location for a flat water freestyle session, and if there is swell you can ride out the estuary mouth.
- From the Estuary you can kite over, then walk over the dunes to have a play around in the waves at Maketu Beach if the wind directions allows.
- Make sure you grab a legendary Maketu pie while you are there!